First, fast, furious...Bangladeshi business blog

We provide
--social media strategies for Bangladeshi businesses worldwide
--public speaking on Bangladeshi businesses and social media
--paid product/service/website reviews of Bangladeshi companies

Interested to place an advertisement for your business?

Saturday, June 28, 2008

What mattered then, what matters now

It is really difficult to draw out the extent to which one hangs onto a brand and then bounces to the other. For a long time I had beard in my mind that whoever becomes loyal to a specific brand does not change it ever. However, now that I have been out of my country for a while, I have started to think again about the gut belief that I have fostered for long.

Crocodile was my brand for T-shirts. Cats Eye was for shirts. I used to use Adidas body spray. My favourite footwear would include both Apex and Hush Puppies. My favourite fast food shop was Western Grill (Dhanmondi), and KFC (Gulshan). I had always loved Café Mango (Dhanmondi 31) and Escape from Shanghai (Dhanmondi 5) as my favourite restaurants. Toyota Allion was my favourite car (which we bought just before 2 months of my departure). Signature was my guitar. I used to wear Police glasses. I had a non-branded mp3 player. I had a clone PC and so on.

Interestingly all of those were not always met. I have used many non-branded clothing stuffs, gone to many a nameless fast food shops, eaten in faceless restaurants, ridden in many Toyota versions, played a number of guitars belonging to different brands, used this glass that glass and such every now and then. Nevertheless, I could always say those names (mentioned in the second para) whenever I was asked about brands I belong to.

Things are quite different now. I love ESPRIT while buying clothes. I still stick to Adidas body spray, I can't help! I love the fries of McDonald's but not the burgers. Literally speaking, the burgers of McDonald's are crap, believe me or not. For burgers, I admit, I love Oporto. Here, in Sydney, Hungry Jacks and KFC are full of shit, bullshit. Subway is ok to some extent. I love the salad of SumoSalad. I also love the Shushi train in Japanese restaurants. Now, my dream car is Audi R8. I also love Toyota Aurion and Jeep Wrangler. Gibson is my brand here. As I said I like Police, I still do wear this brand. I have an iPod which takes the pain of screaming into my ears in every spare time. And I have an Asus notebook.

Interestingly, again, now I cannot get me out of the brands that I have been loyal to. Every time I went to buy a T-shirt I went to ESPRIT. While eating brunch, I buy the burger from Oporto and eat it while I get my fries ready from McDonald's. I cannot get Audi out of my mind.

Strange enough! I can't get out of the circle of brands that I have become loyal to, anymore. Why? Foreign brands are more powerful? What makes a brand - a brand? How could a brand get you into its web so that you cannot get out?

I wish I could answer all of that!

No comments: